Moving in and out

Renter’s Insurance

Renter’s insurance is a form of property insurance that provides coverage for a policyholder's belongings and liability within a rental property. Renter's insurance applies to persons renting or subletting a single family home, apartment, duplex, condo, studio, loft or townhome. The policy protects against losses to the tenant's personal property within the rented property. In addition, a renter's insurance policy protects against losses resulting from liability claims, such as injuries occurring on the premises that are not due to a structural problem with the property (in this case, the owner's - not renter's - policy would apply).

Find renter’s insurance – link:

Moving in

Contact utility providers to arrange for service:

  • Cableoptions:
Complete a move-in inspection form.

Many property managers provide this form at move in. Complete it carefully and within the timeframe required by the landlord. Save a copy of it with your lease. This document is important if conflicts arise with the return of security deposits at the end of your lease. If your property manager does not provide a move-in inspection form, create one yourself.

Check that the rental has smoke detectors and that they work.

North Carolina Landlord and Tenant statute states, “The landlord shall ensure that a smoke detector is operable and in good repair at the beginning of each tenancy.” When you move in, check that the smoke detectors work. If they do not, notify the landlord immediately.

Purchase at least one fire extinguisher and learn how to use it.

The property manager may, but is not required to provide a fire extinguisher. Type ABC is intended for use of several types of household fires including those caused by cooking, combustible materials, or is electrical. You can purchase a fire extinguisher at a local hardware store.

Give written notice

Write or email a note to your landlord specifying tenants who will vacate the premises. If some of your roommates want to remain beyond the lease term, they should check that it is available and sign a new lease, or negotiate an extension with the landlord.

Provide a forwarding address

If you want to get your security deposit back, provide your landlord with a forwarding address. Landlords have 30 days after termination of tenancy to return your security deposit.

Clean up

You need leave the property in the same condition you found it. Don't leave anything that wasn’t there to start unless you have made special arrangements with your landlord. Take the trash out to your rollout trashcan or the dumpster. Clean thoroughly, including appliances, fixtures, and floors.

Don’t forget to turn in your keys, forward mail, and disconnect utilities.